Craving bread? This is one of my favorite keto bread recipes! This cheese bread is made with coconut flour, shredded cheese, and plenty of flavors. It's a versatile and delicious recipe that you can bake as mini loaves or muffins.
PLUS I've got 5 variations for you to make these spicy, bacon, taco, Italian, or even sweet!
There's also a garlic bread cheese loaf too.
There are just as good, if not better, than the cheesy savory muffins I used to enjoy with cream cheese and melted butter at a local cafe.
This low-carb bread is grain-free, gluten-free, and my kids love them in their lunch boxes. You can enjoy them as the perfect side to soup or salad to make it a complete meal.
How many carbs are in a keto cheese loaf?
You'll love this quick and easy recipe because this bread recipe is incredibly low carb at just 1.3g net carbs per loaf!
Nutrition for 1 mini keto cheese loaf = 1.3g NET carbs, 6.4 g protein, 13.8 g fat, 161 calories.
Serving size = 1 low carb cheese loaf (makes 12)
These are not full-sized loaves but are mini keto bread. If you choose to make them larger, you'll need to adjust the carbs accordingly. I also like to make them into large keto savory muffins.
The keto diet: a quick refresher
The keto diet is one where you consume very low carbs. Instead of sugar, your body will then utilizes fats to provide energy. This can lead to a significant amount of weight loss and many other health benefits because the body will use the fat that it's storing as an energy source.
You become a fat burner, not a sugar burner.
Just because you are letting go of carbs doesn't mean you need to say goodbye to your favourite foods, however. This keto bread recipe is just one example of something that can be made while on this diet.
My entire site is filled with lots of other delicious recipes that fit right into a keto or low-carb diet. There is no deprivation when living this way - pizza with fathead dough, keto brownies, waffles, and so many more foods you love.
Learn more about how to get started with this beginner's guide to the keto diet.
Coconut flour 101
Is coconut flour keto?
Yes, coconut flour is definitely keto. It is incredibly high in fibre and low in grams of net carbs. Using coconut flour in recipes is perfect for individuals who have to avoid nuts due to allergies but are able to consume coconut flour.
A common problem with low carb and keto recipes is the fact they predominantly use almond flour which is a problem for those with nut allergies or for those who cannot take almond flour baking to school that has a nut-free policy.
Benefits of coconut flour
For those who have been with me for a while, you will know I now prefer to use coconut flour over almond flour.
I break it down in the article above, but it all comes down to 4 really important differences between coconut flour and almond flour properties, as well as health and cost.
- Net carbs - coconut flour is much higher in fiber and much lower in net carbs making it the perfect low-carb flour for keto baking.
- Allergies - with an ever increasing number of people with nut allergies, having coconut flour recipes on hand is incredibly helpful.
- Cost - coconut flour is cheaper to use and you use less.
- Omega3:6 ratio - almonds are high in Omega 6 (pro-inflammatory)
How to use coconut flour
Coconut flour may be a little trickier to bake with if this is your first time working with low-carb recipes. However, when you persevere you'll quickly master coconut flour!
The results are worth the effort: light, fluffy, and much much lower in net carbs. You won't even miss traditional bread or white flour in this carb-friendly delicious bread.
Coconut flour requires more liquid ingredients and eggs than a traditional almond flour or wheat flour recipe. If you have never baked with this new low-carb flour before, I would recommend you use recipes that have been developed with coconut flour rather than trying to calculate a substitution.
Can I swap coconut flour for almond flour?
No, this keto cheese bread recipe will only work with coconut flour. It won't work with almond flour or almond meal. However, I do have a different recipe if you are looking for delicious almond flour bread to try!
You only need a few simple low carb ingredients. You'll probably have most of them in the pantry or refrigerator. It's baking with a low-carb coconut flour that makes this bread keto.
- Butter - I prefer saletd butter, but you can use unsalted then adjust the amount of seasonign you prefer.
- Coconut flour - if you don't like coconut flour you will have to make an almond flour bread recipe instead (see reccomended almond flour bread recipes at the end of this post).
Baking powder - always make sure it is in date to ensure your bread recipe will rises to be soft and fluffy.
- Salt and pepper - adjust to your preference.
- Chili - add as much spice as you can handle.
- Eggs - the recipe calls for medium eggs, but if you have large eggs, use 1 or 2 less.
- Spring onion - this can be omitted or swapped for garlic powder.
- Shredded cheese - you can use 1 cup of any mild cheese, but the more flavor your chosen cheese has, the more flavorsome your cheese bread will be. Shredded mozzarella cheese will add a slight stretch to your bread.
- Pepperoni - this is optional but it really makes the bread taste like a cafe savory muffin.
Can you make low carb cheesy bread with fresh garlic?
To make quick and simple keto garlic bread, add some fresh minced garlic into the bread dough. Before cooking, brush the top of each cheese bread loaf with melted butter and crushed garlic.
The full instructions and measurements are in the recipe card below.
- It's a pretty simple recipe, all made in one large bowl. Once you mix all the ingredients together, fill each mini loaf tin (or muffin cases).
- Press sliced pepperoni and pumpkin seeds into the top.
- Cover with additional shredded/grated cheese.
- Preheat oven and bake at 180C/350F.
- Allow to cool before removing and place each loaf on a wire rack.
Do you need a bread machine to make coconut flour bread?
No, you don't need any fancy kitchen gadgets such as a bread machine. Just mix everything together in a large mixing bowl. However, if your bread machine has a "mix and bake" setting, then you can place all the ingredients in at once and press "mix".
But in reality, it's actually easier and faster to use the traditional method of mixing by hand then bake in the oven.
One of the things I love most about this keto cheese bread recipe is just how versatile it is! Here are a few different flavors you can customize the basic bread recipe with:
- Pizza cheese loaves - this is what I put in the recipe card below. I used green onion, mini pepperoni, and mozzarella cheese to give it a pizza spin. You could swap out the meat for sausage or another option too! Some Italian seasoning woudl also be a flavorsome addition.
- Taco loaves - try adding cumin, corainder and ground chili to the "dough". Before baking push a spoon of sour cream into the centre and sprinkle over more taco seasoning and Mexican cheese for a crispy cheesy crust.
- Bacon rolls - fry up some crispy bacon and add it into the dough along with cheddar cheese. Yum!
- Italian cheese bread - oregano, parmesan cheese are mixed into the bread "dough" and baked to become golden brown. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil mixed with dipping herbs.
- Make it sweet - instead of going savoury, why not try making this into a sweet version? A reader told me she used sweetener and blueberries in her version and her daughter loved it! Give it a try next time next time and see.
Get creative and try different low-carb ingredients...and be sure to let me know in the comments which you use!
Allow this keto-friendly bread to cool on a baking sheet or rack before you enjoy it.
This keto cheese bread recipe does best when stored in the fridge in an airtight container. In fact, this recipe has been made hundreds if not thousands of times across the world, and many readers have said they prefer these cheese loaves after a day in the fridge.
When stored in the fridge, this keto cheese bread recipe will last for 2-3 days.
If you want to double the batch and keep some in your freezer for a quick snack, I applaud the idea! Just wrap each loaf in parchment paper to keep them from drying out or getting freezer burn. Then place the wrapped loaves into an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months.
I like these loaves and savory muffins best when served warm with melted butter. They are quite large so I can often only eat half.
This quick and easy keto cheese bread tastes great all by itself, but it's even better served with sliced tomato, avocado and green salad.
The keto cheese bread is perfect as a delicious snack or lunch. It's also incredible when served with garlic butter.
Dip the bread in marinara sauce, sprinkle with parmesan of chopped chives for a quick and easy appetizer.
Keto cheese bread
So next time you're craving a slice of keto cheese bread, make this recipe and share your photos in our low-carb keto community. You can join my keto low carb community here.
Please leave me a comment below if you have used this basic keto cheese in a new way that I haven't mentioned. Some members have told me they used the bread dough to create a pizza crust with a marinara sauce and covered it with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Top 5 keto bread recipes
If you're missing your favorite bread, sandwich, or garlic bread ... good news, I have recipes for every single one.
None of my low-carb bread recipes requires yeast and none need a bread machine. So making flourless yeast-free bread is quick and simple and you've probably got all the ingredients in your pantry right now.
Coconut Flour Mini Cheese Loaves Recipe
Please rate this recipe.
Coconut Flour Mini Cheese Loaves Toppings
- 1 pepperoni stick sliced
- 2 tablespoon pumpkin seeds
- Mix the softened butter with the coconut flour, baking powder salt, pepper and chilli (optional) until smooth.
- Add the eggs one at a time. Stir after each egg is added.
- Gently stir through the sliced spring onion and grated/shredded cheese (reserve some to top each loaf).
- Fill each mini loaf tin (or muffin cases).
- I like to top my mini loaves with a few pepperoni stick slices, then cover with some grated/shredded cheese and finally sprinkle a few pumpkin seeds over.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, or until golden.
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Got any baking questions?
If you have any questions about how to make keto cheese bread, keto bread or how to use coconut flour?
Ask me anything below. I love to celebrate your keto bread successes and to help with baking problems.