A simple one-bowl recipe for healthy low-carb blueberry cupcakes - with a hint of lemon.
At only 2.8 g net carbs, it's an easy coconut flour recipe. Low-carb blueberry cupcakes with a hint of lemon - making the perfect little portion-controlled keto treat.
How can I portion control cake?
Who doesn't love cupcakes? They are the perfect way to have instant portion control rather than trying to cut a small slice of cake when you want to cut back on sugar and carbs.
You can also freeze them to stop yourself from going back for seconds (or thirds).
Top Tip: Cupcakes are best frozen without the icing or frosting.
PLUS you can bake this healthy sugar-free and gluten-free cake batter as one cake, two layers, or even in a loaf tin.
Simply cover with my sugar-free cream cheese frosting, and your carb-loving guests (or children) will never suspect a thing!
Which low-carb flour is best for cupcakes?
I often develop healthy low-carb recipes using coconut flour more than almond flour. Why? If you are new here, you need to read this page - Ultimate Guide To Coconut Flour vs Almond Flour.
I love using coconut flour in low-carb recipes. Coconut flour is light, cheap, lower in carbs, and lower in inflammatory omega 6 compared to almond flour. Just take a look at the table in my ultimate guide.
Baking low-carb recipes using coconut flour does take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it - wow. It is so versatile. Read all my tips and tricks in my Ultimate Guide.
Healthy gluten-free sugar-free lunchbox snacks
Especially when low-carb cupcakes are made with coconut flour - perfect to send to school if your child (like mine) attends a school with a nut-free policy.
I post healthy lunch box tips - for school AND work (we can't let the kids have all the fun, can we?). And in my closed Lunch Box Hacks group, you can see what I pack each day.
If you have been here for a while, you will know my website is based on Real Food, Real Easy. These healthy low-carb blueberry cupcakes are no exception.
This easy sugar-free and gluten-free cupcake recipe only needs a few simple ingredients that you can find at your local grocery store.
- Eggs - whole fresh eggs.
- Butter - you can use salted butter or unsalted butter, then you can adjust the cupcake batter with a pinch of salt as required.
- Coconut flour - see notes above for swapping with almond flour.
- Baking powder - not to be confused with baking soda.
- Vanilla - vanilla extract, vanilla pods, or vanilla essence.
- Sugar-free sweetener - use your favorite sweeteners such as erythritol granules, monk fruit sweetener, allulose, xylitol, or stevia powder.
- Fresh berries.
TOP TIP: For those of you unaccustomed to using coconut flour, and the large number of eggs that are required - please, please, please taste before baking. The trick to avoiding an egg or subtle coconut flavor is to use lots of flavorings.
So make sure your batter is sweet enough, has enough vanilla, and enough lemon. I guarantee you will notice the difference. And mix well. No one wants a lump of coconut flour inside their cupcake.
Low-Carb Blueberry Cupcakes Recipe (coconut flour)
Please rate this recipe.
- Mix the melted butter, sweetener, coconut flour, baking powder, vanilla, lemon juice and zest together.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing between each addition.
- Taste the cupcake batter to ensure you have used enough sweetener and flavours to mask the subtle taste of coconut from the coconut flour.
- Divide the mixture between 12 cupcake cases.
- Press in a few fresh blueberries in the batter of each cupcake.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes, or until golden on the outside, and cooked in the centre. Ovens will vary so test as the cupcakes are baking.
- Cover with sugar-free ream cheese frosting. Vanilla or lemon flavour is perfect. Garnish with fresh blueberries and lemon zest.
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.