Low-carb spaghetti Bolognese with zoodles is an absolute staple in our house. It can be ready in 20 minutes, start to finish and we always have mince/ground beef and vegetables in the fridge.
UPDATE - scroll below to see my new cooking video.
Low-Carb Spaghetti Bolognese with Zoodles
So what do we replace dried spaghetti with when we go low carb? Zoodles. What are zoodles? Take a look at yesterday's post to see all you need to know about zoodles. It explains how to make them, what devices you can use and a handy video to watch.
Zoodles = zucchini noodles. They are the most fabulous way to increase vegetables in yours and your children's diet. They are gluten-free, wheat-free, fresh and incredibly nutritious. And for those of you lucky enough to grow zucchini like wildfire in your garden, they are cheap and easy.Low carb spaghetti bolognese - Learn how to turn a 56g carb meal into a 13g carb meal packed with nutrition.
I have 2 ways to prepare my zoodles. I use a large spiraliser machine which has suction cups so it sticks to my kitchen worktop. I also have a smaller handheld shredder which I take on holiday/vacation. I allow my children to use the spiraliser machine as the shredder has incredibly sharp blades and you have to hold the vegetable with a fork so your fingers don't get shredded too.
Read this post - What are zoodles? What are the best tools and vegetables to use?
Low Carb Spaghetti Bolognese
Recipe Video (tap to play)
- 1 (1 ) onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves (2 cloves) garlic crushed
- 500 g (1.1 lb) mince/ground beef
- 400 g (0.9 lb) tinned/canned chopped tomatoes
- selection of fresh or dried Italian herbs - I use the following
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) dried rosemary
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) dried oregano
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) dried sage
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) dried basil
- 1 tbsp (1 tbsp) dried marjoram
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan. gently fry the onion and garlic in oil until softened but not over cooked.
- Add the mince/ground beef and continue to fry stirring continuously to break up the mince/ground beef. Fry until all the meat is cooked and browned.
- Add the herbs, seasoning and tomatoes.
- Stir then simmer for 15 minutes whilst you make the zoodles.
- Serve in a bowl with zoodles and grated cheese or parmesan sprinkled on top.
Nutrition Notes ::
- The nutrition values are for 1 serving of the spaghetti bolognese and includes 1 cup cooked zoodles.
- If you want to reduce the carbs further, restrict how many tomatoes you add to the recipe
- 1 serving of regular spaghetti Bolognese and 1 cup cooked pasta equates to 56g carbs compared with 13g in low-carb spaghetti Bolognese version with zoodles
What is another pasta alternative other than zoodles?
Alternatively, you may wish to serve low-carb spaghetti Bolognese with spaghetti squash instead of zoodles. Watch the quick cooking video to learn how to use this incredibly versatile vegetable. There are even instructions for making it in the microwave or oven.
LOW-CARB FAMILY MEALS: Need help and inspiration how to cook healthy family meals? Get all the resources you'll need - CLICK HERE
For more healthy family dinners, you may like to look at the following recipes.
- ABC bun less burger - the ultimate healthy fast food
- Beef stroganoff in the slow cooker - easy to prepare in the morning
- Malaysian beef curry - easy meal in the slow cooker
- Lamb kebabs - can be made in the oven, frying pan or bbq
- Paleo Scotch eggs - perfect for dinner or the school lunch box
- Prawn cocktail - so easy and only a few ingredients
- Fat Head pizza - the holy grail of low-carb pizzas
- Spinach and feta pie - 3 options in the recipe
- Fat Head sausage rolls - an absolute winner with the children