A delicious recipe for keto spinach pie (with a gluten-free crust). The perfect high-protein vegetarian dinner with spinach, cream cheese, and feta.
It can be baked with a gluten-free pie crust, or as a crustless spinach pie in a baking dish.
This spinach pie recipe is simple, quick, and delicious. At only 2 net carbs per serving, this spinach pie should definitely be on your must-make list.
This easy, baked spinach pie with cheese is high-protein low-carb, perfect for low-carb vegetarians to help hit your health goals while staying satisfied. Plus, there are many variations to this recipe, depending on how low carb you need to go.
Low-carb spinach and feta pie are so incredibly colorful, delicious, healthy, and nutritious. What is even better, it is super easy to make. Here's what you need to put together this yummy keto spinach pie.
All quantities, ingredients, and instructions are in the recipe card below.
Gluten-free keto pie crust
This gluten-free, grain-free crust is absolutely delicious. It's also incredibly versatile. You can use it for both sweet and savory dishes while on the keto diet.
Not in the mood for a crust? You can easily turn this into a crustless spinach pie too - just skip down to the next set of ingredients.
- almond flour - I prefer the finer texture of almond flour, but you can also use almond meal if that's what you have on hand.
- egg - use fresh eggs
- coconut flour - this helps the gluten-free pie crust stick together and helps make a sturdy crust that is easy to cut
- salt and pepper - add to taste.
Keto spinach cheese pie filling
- spinach - you can use either chopped fresh spinach or chopped frozen spinach for this recipe. After defrosting the frozen spinach (or cooking the fresh spinach) press out as much excess water and moisture as you can.
- onion - white onion finely diced is my favorite. You can often find these prechopped in the frozen veggie section!
- cream cheese - make sure to buy the full-fat cream cheese, not the lite, light, low-fat, or spreadable cream cheese. if you can't find cream cheese, you may use ricotta cheese.
- feta cheese - again, full fat and plain are best. If you're not a fan of feta, you can use cottage cheese, but drain all the liquid first.
- fresh mint - it might sound odd, but don't skip this one! I strongly suggest you use fresh instead of dried mint as there is a world of flavor difference for this keto spinach pie recipe.
- salt and pepper to taste.
Find the exact quantities in the keto spinach pie recipe card below.
Keto pie crust
First, grab all the crust ingredients into a medium mixing bowl and mix together with a fork.
Grease the bottom of a pie pan or pie plate. My pie pan is 9.5" which works perfectly for this spinach pie. You might also like to cut a circle of baking parchment paper to line your pie plate making it easy to remove the cheese pie once baked and cooled.
Pour the keto pie crust mixture into the oiled and lined prepared pan (pie plate).
Add another small sheet of parchment paper to the top of the filling, and use your hand or a small drinking glass to smooth the crust out evenly. Then take off the parchment and discard it.
Make holes with your fork all over the base so the crust cooks evenly. Bake for 15 minutes at 350F/180C until it is golden brown.
While you are baking the pie crust, you can prepare the low-carb pie filling.
If you are using fresh spinach, wash it and dry it well with a cloth or towel. I find I prefer smaller bits of spinach so I will usually use baby or chopped spinach for this dish. You'll also need to wilt the spinach in a pan, then squeeze out the excess moisture before using it.
Want to use frozen spinach? No problem. Just let it dethaw (defrost)and then squeeze as much water as you can out of it. You don't want a soggy pie!
Next, place the spinach along with all the other filling ingredients in a large bowl.
Mix everything together but be gentle. You'll still want to leave those yummy chunks of feta cheese intact.
Pour the spinach mixture onto the crust in the pie dish. Then, bake until the mixture is cooked all the way through. It took me about 40 minutes at 180C/350F.
This spinach pie makes a great freezer meal. Simply bake it as instructed, then allow it to cool before wrapping it in foil. It will keep for about 2-3 months in an airtight container in the freezer.
It can also be kept in the fridge for up to 4 days. Cover with plastic wrap, baking parchment, or in an airtight container.
Baked keto spinach cheese pie keeps well and is not fragile, so it easily can be packed in school lunches (if nuts are not allowed, simply make it without the pie crust). It is also just as delicious hot or cold.
This keto spinach pie is such an adaptable recipe you can make it in many ways, depending on what you are looking for and how many carbs you require.
- Spinach and feta parcels - this recipe uses rice papers when carbs aren't so critical and you need a sturdy lunch for little hands to take to school
- Make it a crustless pie - if you're not a fan of a baked pie crust, then make the same mixture as the recipe on this page, but bake in a lined baking dish without the crust. This also freezes well
- Spinach and feta wrapped in cabbage leaves - use the recipe on this page but instead of rice papers, for those who need to monitor their carbs even closer, use wilted cabbage leaves to wrap the filling and bake in an oiled baking dish. Turn over halfway through cooking.
- Prosciutto wraps - yes, readers have told me they wrap this mixture in large prosciutto slices. This sounds amazing!
- Cheese pie crust - why not sprinkle shredded cheddar cheese, fresh mozzarella, or even parmesan cheese over the top of the pie filling before baking to make a crunchy cheesy crust.
- Spicy - if you like spicy meals, add some red pepper flakes into the pie filling.
As you can see, there are so many different ways to enjoy this low-carb spinach pie! Which one will you choose?
More keto quiche recipes
If you have eggs and a pie pan you can make so many delicious low-carb keto recipes. All are easy recipes the whole family will love. They are great freezer meals too.
If you have any leftover chopped spinach, you can mix it into mini keto baked ham and egg cups, low-carb lamb curry with spinach (Saag Gosht), and add more spinach into spinach stuffed chicken breasts.
A crustless quiche is where the quiche egg filling is poured into a prepared pie tin or baking dish and baked without a crust. Some people call baked egg mixture without a crust, a frittata.
If you don't have any spinach, you can use Swiss chard, silverbeet, or kale. You could also use very small pieces of broccoli that have been steamed or blanched. Always remove any excess water.
If it is summer, you might want to serve your spinach cheese pie with a large side salad or Caesar salad. If you want a warm winter meal, serve with steamed vegetables or baked cheesy cauliflower and broccoli with bacon.
Keto creamed spinach is an easy recipe that only needs a few ingredients and takes less than 10 minutes.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Spinach Pie Recipe (Gluten-Free Pie Crust)
Grain Free Pie Crust
Gluten-Free Pie Crust
- Mix all the ingredients together with a fork.
- Grease and line a 24cm/ 9.5 inch pie/flan dish. I used a loose bottom tin, but this is not essential. If you do use a loose bottom dish, place it in the oven on a baking tray, just in case any liquid spills out.
- Place the pie crust mixture onto the lined dish. Place a piece of baking paper on top and smooth out the pie crust with the back of your hand or a glass tumbler to fill the pie dish. Remove the top baking paper. Doing it this way saves you from rolling out the pastry and cutting any excess off.
- Make holes all over the base with a fork. This will help the pie crust bake evenly and crispen.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.
Keto Spinach Pie Filling
- Defrost the spinach and squeeze as much of the water out as you can. This is an important step, otherwise, you will end up with a soggy pie.
- Place the spinach and all other ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix gently, but do leave some cream cheese and feta lumps.
- Pour onto the cooked pie crust.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 40 minutes or until the centre is cooked.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.