Keto spinach stuffed chicken needs only 4 ingredients and takes only 10-minutes to prepare.
The cream cheese, bacon, and spinach stuffed chicken breast recipe can be baked in the oven or cooked in the air fryer.
It's one of the yummiest, easiest healthy chicken dinners you will ever make.
Spinach-stuffed chicken breasts are made with a few simple ingredients, then throw them in the oven, and dinner will be ready in 30 minutes.
With less than 1g carbs per serving, these will suit anyone who is low-carb, keto, primal, gluten-free, or Whole30. But don't worry - your non-low carb-eating friends and family will love this one too!
Is chicken keto?
Yes, chicken is zero-carb, high protein, and can be low-fat or moderate fat.
The nutrition of chicken will depend on which part of the chicken you are cooking. Some cuts will have higher fat content and contain chicken skin, dark parts will have higher iron and the chicken breast has the least fat.
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
|Per 100g (3.5oz)||Net Carbs||Protein||Fat||Calories|
|Chicken breast, skinless||0||30.9g||4.5g||173|
|Chicken drumstick, skin eaten||0||27.3g||10g||206|
|Chicken drumstick, skinless||0||24.2g||5.7g||155|
|Chicken thigh, skin eaten||0||28.2g||13.2g||239|
|Chicken thigh, skinless||0||27.7g||6g||173|
|Chicken wing, skin eaten||0||23.8g||16.9g||354|
There are so many varieties of high-protein meat that you can eat on the keto diet, take a look at these meat protein charts.
Easy ways to cook chicken
If you have chicken sitting in your fridge or freezer, there are so many ways to cook chicken that are keto friendly and low-carb.
A plain cooked chicken breast can get really boring really fast, so you need some quick and easy ideas to make a fast tasty chicken dinner. All you need is some herbs, spices, and various kinds of cheese to jazz up your chicken.
- Stir fry chicken with fresh or frozen vegetables and cabbage
- Wrap chicken pieces in bacon and fry or bake
- Make a slow-cooker chicken curry
- Keto chicken stuffed with pesto
- Use the slow cooker to cook stuffed chicken breasts
And if these healthy recipes aren't enough, there are 21 more recipes to cook fast tasty chicken.
These keto spinach stuffed chicken breasts make it look like it’s actually taken some effort (but we won’t tell anyone how easy they are).
This is one of the best stuffed-chicken breast recipes because it comes out perfectly. Juicy chicken, baby spinach, smokey bacon, and a cream cheese filling - it's all absolutely delicious.
Here's what you need to make this chicken dinner:
- Chicken breast - boneless chicken, skinless chicken breasts, full-size (not tenders)
- Cream cheese - full-fat cream cheese has the best flavor and nutrition
- Bacon - use unsweetened bacon on the keto diet
- Spinach - fresh baby spinach is best
See the stuffed chicken breast recipe card below for quantities, nutritional facts, and instructions.
Instructions (oven and air fryer)
The basic idea is simple. Stuff the spinach mixture and cheese mixture into the chicken breast and then bake it. There are two ways to bake cream cheese spinach chicken - in the oven and in the air fryer.
Before starting, spray the baking dish or air fryer basket with cooking oil to prevent the stuffed chicken from sticking.
STEP 1: Spread cream cheese into the sliced chicken breast.
STEP 2: Place the fresh baby spinach into the center then place a few pieces of raw bacon along the center. Season with salt and pepper as you like. You can even add chicken seasoning, onion powder, or garlic powder inside too.
See all the variations and substitutions below.
STEP 3: Fold the chicken breast over to close then secure it with a toothpick.
Before cooking, spray or brush over the chicken with cooking oil to make sure the chicken remains moist and tender. Season again if necessary.
How to cook in the oven
Place each spinach-stuffed chicken breast into a large oiled baking dish. Cook at 180C/350F for 30 minutes. Cooking times will depend on the size and thickness of the chicken breasts.
Cook until the chicken is completely cooked into the center. Chicken should always be fully cooked with no red or pink meat.
Sprinkle chopped chives or other herbs over the top as garnish (optional).
How to cook spinach stuffed chicken breasts using an air fryer
If you have boneless skinless chicken breasts and an air fryer, this is one of the most popular recipes to make juicy chicken for dinner tonight.
Using an air fryer to cook stuffed chicken breasts is quick and easy.
- Preheat to 180C/350F.
- Spray the wire basket with cooking oil.
- Gently place each stuffed chicken breast into the oiled basket. Ensure there is plenty of space between them. Do not overcrowd your air fryer.
- Cook for 15 minutes, open the drawer and turn each piece.
- Cook for a further 15 minutes, depending on the size of the pieces being cooked. Chicken must be completely cooked into the center of each piece.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 keto air fryer recipes for you to choose from (chicken, pork, ground beef, salmon, vegetables, and even desserts). Discover how to use your air fryer plus FREE printable air fryer cooking cheat sheets.
Store leftover cheese-stuffed chicken breast in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to three days.
If you have any cut of chicken such as chicken breast or chicken thigh, some spinach, and some other pantry staples, you can make this baked chicken recipe tonight.
Are certain ingredients stopping you from making this spinach-stuffed chicken recipe? Below you will find our recommendations for common substitutions.
- Cream Cheese - to make mozzarella stuffed chicken, use mozzarella cheese instead of cream cheese. You could also use drained cream cheese, Brie, Camembert, or mascarpone cheese. Any cheese-stuffed chicken breast is delicious.
- Chicken breasts - you can also use chicken thighs, but this combination will also taste delicious stuffed into a pork tenderloin. Instead of skinless chicken, use a chicken breast with skin and peel the skin back while adding spinach and cream cheese. Fold the skin back into place and secure it with a toothpick.
- Bacon - use turkey bacon instead of pork bacon.
- Spinach - kale or arugula are perfect substitutes, but they have a stronger flavor. If you use them, I suggest sprinkling garlic powder or onion powder on top of the chicken to cut some of that tartness down.
The above substitutions are great alternatives to will keep your delicious dinner keto, low-carb, and gluten-free.
This quick and easy chicken recipe is so adaptable, that makes stuffed chicken breasts to be exactly how you like them with a number of variations. Keto spinach stuffed chicken is just as suitable for a family meal as it would be for a dinner with friends.
Chicken stuffing flavors and variations:
- Creamy traditional flavor stuffed chicken - add cream cheese and spinach as shown in the recipe.
- Taco stuffed chicken - mix some taco seasoning with cream cheese for the filling. Sprinkle cheese and more taco seasoning over the chicken breast before baking.
- Mexican stuffed chicken - fill the chicken breast with cream cheese, jalapeno slices, and red peppers - for that spicy tasty taste.
- Burger stuffed chicken - fill the sliced chicken breast with smoked cheese, tomato paste, mustard, and pickles.
- Crispy - Sprinkle parmesan cheese on top of the chicken breasts.
- Herbs and spices for chicken -why not jazz up your chicken tonight easily by adding fresh crushed garlic, garlic powder, onion flakes, chicken seasoning, or chicken salt?
- Bacon-wrapped chicken breasts - after preparing the cream cheese stuffed chicken, wrap each chicken breast in bacon. This is perfect for the BBQ too.
- Mozzarella cheese - sprinkle shredded mozzarella on top of each stuffed chicken breast for a baked cheesy crust.
- Parmesan cheese - place some shredded parmesan inside each stuffed chicken breast and on top for a quick and easy baked chicken parmesan.
- Seasoning - you can add your favorite seasoning to the inside of the stuffed chicken breast such as Italian seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper, white pepper, garlic salt, or onion salt.
This stuffed chicken breast recipe only uses a few simple kitchen tools. All you really need is a sharp knife, cutting board, toothpick, and an oiled baking dish. You can either use a casserole dish or a prepared baking sheet.
FAQs about keto spinach stuffed chicken breast
Skinless chicken breasts only last about a week in the refrigerator after you buy them from the store. Always check expiry dates and do not use chicken after it has expired.
Any kind of chopped spinach will work but fresh spinach will give you the best texture and flavor.
Use a meat thermometer and make sure it cooks to an internal temperature of 165F / 75C.
If you love using your air fryer, I have 101 low-carb air fryer recipes you may like. There are recipes for air fryer chicken, ground beef, pork, vegetables, and even mug cakes!
Spinach is low-calorie and high fiber, chicken is low-fat and high-protein so both are wonderful healthy ingredients used in many healthy family dinner recipes and easy chicken dinner ideas.
If you're not a huge fan of cream cheese, you can use mascarpone cheese, feta cheese, Boursin cheese, parmesan cheese, or any cheese the whole family will love (and picky eaters will eat). Any baked cheesy spinach filling inside a chicken breast will work.
Yes, just defrost the frozen spinach and squeeze out as much water as you can. Place the spinach on kitchen paper and press down with another piece of kitchen paper towel to remove more water.
Chicken thighs are smaller than a chicken breast so it would be difficult to stuff and then close before baking. But it can be done.
Chicken is lean meat and can dry out quickly so don't overcook chicken and try to cover chicken when possible.
Yes, instead of using cream cheese, add 1 to 2 teaspoons of nutritional yeast inside your spinach-stuffed chicken breasts.
In a medium bowl, you can shred the cooked spinach-stuffed chicken breasts and mix them with additional cheese, feta cheese, or mascarpone cheese to make a quick chicken spinach dip. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with keto crackers or cheese crackers as a delicious side dish or entree.
Yes, but it will take longer so there is more risk of the chicken breasts becoming dry. It's better to sear (fry, saute) both sides on medium heat then place the hot skillet into the oven and cook until the internal temperature reaches 165F / 75C.
Best keto side dishes to serve with chicken
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with chicken. Chicken is a versatile family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose quick and easy healthy side dishes the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto side dishes to serve with chicken.
- Cheesy keto garlic bread
- Easy mashed cauliflower
- The best low-carb bread, pasta, and potato substitutes
- Low-carb keto almond flour bread
- Baked cheesy broccoli and cauliflower
Instead of serving chicken with mashed potatoes, keto spinach stuffed chicken would be lovely served with spinach carbonara, mashed cauliflower, or with olive oil or macadamia oil drizzled over a green salad.
More keto dinner recipes
These are the most popular keto dinner recipes that are perfect for beginners. They are perfect for a low-carb diet, keto diet, or high-protein low-carb diet.
If you're a busy mom, these are all easy recipes for a healthy dinner tonight.
- Keto spinach and feta pie (almond flour crust)
- Keto fried chicken (keto KFC)
- Keto creamed spinach recipes
- Keto chicken nuggets (gluten-free)
- The best keto chicken parmesan
Please rate this recipe.
Spinach Stuffed Chicken Recipe (oven and air fryer).
- Slice each chicken breast/fillet along the center.
- Place chopped spinach, cream cheese, and diced bacon along the center of each chicken breast/fillet.
- Fold over, and use a toothpick to secure the chicken and its fillings.
Cook in the oven
- Place each chicken breast/fillet in an oiled baking dish and pour some extra oil over each one.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 30 minutes, or until cooked in the center. Cooking times will vary with the size of the chicken breast and the thickness of the meat.
Cook in the air fryer
- Oil the air fryer basket then place each stuffed chicken breast into the basket.
- Preheat the air fryer to 180C/350F. Cook for 15 minutes on each side (30 minutes total cooking time), or until cooked in the center. Cooking times will vary with the size of the chicken breast and the thickness of the meat.
- Sprinkle finely grated/shredded parmesan on top of each chicken breast.
- Add chilli, garlic or spring onion to the cream cheese.
- Pour canned/tinned tomatoes over the chicken before coking to create a sauce. This would however, add to the carb count.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.