The best keto crackers recipe can be made with almond flour or coconut flour and with 6 delicious variations to try.
There is also a printable list of 50 keto snack ideas too.
If you are an absolute beginner, you may want to see the supreme guide to making keto dough (even without a microwave).
Baking 101 (tips & charts)
You only need 4 simple healthy ingredients to make the keto crackers recipe. The basic dough can be used in a variety of savory recipes and sweet recipes.
- Shredded cheese - shredded mozzarella cheese is the best or Edam/mild, or Colby cheese
- Almond flour - blanched almond flour, almond meal or coconut flour (see recipe card for substitutions and conversions)
- Full fat cream cheese
- Eggs - medium fresh egg
Extra ingredients (optional)
Salt and pepper - add seasoning to taste
Flavourings of choice - optional. See the 6 cracker variations below.
Is almond flour better than coconut flour for low-carb crackers?
Almond flour and coconut flour are both common low-carb flour. Both are grain-free and naturally gluten-free.
Almond flour is easier to bake with for beginners but for those who have a nut allergy or are allergic to almond flour then coconut flour may be better for you.
Coconut flour is cheaper to use and is lower in carbs and has no inflammatory Omega 6 fatty acids. But some people dislike the subtle coconut flavor that it can give to recipes.
How can you substitute coconut flour for almond flour?
There is no direct substitution for coconut flour vs almond flour but as a quick guide, 1 cup of almond flour is considered to be equivalent to ¼ cup of coconut flour PLUS additional eggs and extra liquid.
You can see the conversion chart for coconut flour vs almond flour with the top tips on how to use these low-carb flours.
What is mozzarella dough?
Mozzarella dough (also known as Fat Head dough) is originally attributed to Tom Naughton who is the author of the comedy-documentary of Fat Head - the movie.
It is the most versatile keto dough recipe that is most commonly used to make the best keto pizza crust, keto bagels, and even keto cinnamon scrolls (with a keto vanilla frosting).
If you love Fat Head dough (mozzarella dough) recipes, you'll love these easy 10 easy keto fathead dough recipes.
Read Tom's post on why he loves my recipes (and is embarrassed too).
How to make keto dough
STEP 1: How to make the dough
It's so easy to make keto crackers. You don't need a food processor, just a large microwave-safe mixing bowl and a rolling pin.
Mix the mozzarella cheese with cream cheese and almond flour.
Microwave on HIGH for 1-minute. If you don't have a microwave, cook on low heat in a saucepan until melted.
Microwave again on HIGH for 30 seconds. Mix again.
Add the egg and seasoning and mix until the dough ball forms.
STEP 2: How to roll the dough
Place the almond flour dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper and roll thinly using a rolling pin, wine bottle, or even the side of a coffee mug.
Remove the top piece of parchment paper.
STEP 3: How to cut the crackers
Cut the dough into small bite size pieces. You can either use a sharp knife or a pizza cutter.
Place the piece of parchment paper with all the keto crackers onto the baking sheet.
Expert tip: Do not cut your crackers on the baking sheet, you will make marks and cut lines all over it. Cut on a wooden chopping board on the parchment paper then gently lift this onto the baking sheet ready to bake.
STEP 4: How to cook keto crackers
Bake at 220C/425F for 5 minutes on each side. Use the discarded top piece of parchment paper to easily flip the crackers over. This allows both sides to cook and become crispy.
Once cooked on both sides, snap each individual cracker and place it back into the oven on the baking sheet for another few minutes to make sure the edges of each cracker are crispy too.
Cool on a wire rack and keep in a container in the fridge.
The keto crackers recipe is so easy and you can flavor them with anything you like and you can cut them into different shapes too.
Cut the homemade crackers recipe into squares, sticks, triangles, or use a round cookie cutter to make round crackers.
6 keto crackers flavors to try at home:
- Bagel seasoning - add a few tablespoons of everything but the bagel seasoning to your almond flour dough and mix well. Sprinkle the top with a little extra everything but the bagel seasoning to make an extra special crunchy keto cracker.
- Garlic - add 2 teaspoons of freshly crushed garlic cloves or garlic powder to the homemade keto crackers. Brush with garlic butter before baking.
- Parmesan crackers - swap one-third of your cheese for shredded parmesan cheese in the dough. Sprinkle additional parmesan over the top for a crunchy cheese crust.
- Onion - add 1 tablespoon of onion powder to the dough mixture. Before baking, sprinkle a few dried onion flakes, poppy seeds, or sesame seeds over the top.
- Chili - add 1 teaspoon of dried chili powder to the mix. For an extra spicy flavor, sprinkle a small amount of extra chili powder over the crackers before baking.
- Taco seasoning - add 1-2 tablespoons of homemade keto taco seasoning if you want homemade keto nacho chips.
Other topping suggestions are chia seeds, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or dried onion flakes.
Serving & storage
Keto crackers are great for low-carb snacks, served at parties, or kept in a zip lock bag when traveling.
Allow the keto crackers to cool completely on a wire rack then store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
You only need 4 ingredients - shredded cheese, cream cheese, an egg, and almond flour. But you can add flavors such as garlic powder, onion powder, parmesan cheese, and everything bagel seasoning.
Always cook the cracker dough on both sides to make extra crispy keto crackers. Cook until golden brown and flip the keto crackers over at the mid-way cooking time.
Serve your homemade keto crackers with a creamy dip, smoked salmon, artichoke dip, cold deli meat, brie, camembert, olives, and cheddar cheese. You can even serve them Mediterranean style dipped in extra virgin olive oil and salt.
It is a good idea to poke holes all over your rolled cracker dough to allow the cheese crackers to cook evenly and become crispy crackers. The perfect crunchy snack.
Store keto crackers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Most store-bought crackers are not keto. Store crackers are made with wheat, flour, and other high-carb baking ingredients.
Use the keto cracker recipe card below, but use shredded cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella.
Yes, they can be frozen and stored in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Always check the labels of store-bought keto crackers, but this keto crackers recipe is naturally gluten-free.
There are 6 variations of the basic low-carb crackers recipe - garlic onion, parmesan, taco, chili, and bagel seasoning.
The lowest net carb keto cracker has to be baked parmesan cheese. Place small handfuls of shredded parmesan cheese on a lined baking sheet and bake until golden brown then allow to cool. These are zero-carb keto cheese crackers.
No, Ritz crackers have 59.8 g of net carbs per 100g so are avoided on the keto diet or low-carb diet.
If you want a cheese cracker that's simple and easy to prepare, you can use slices of cucumber, cheese slices, or even oven-baked (or microwaved) pepperoni slices.
These low-carb keto crackers taste cheesy with a slightly sweet almond flour taste but you can flavor the basic almond flour crackers any way you like.
It depends on whether you cut the cheese crackers into small squares, large sticks, or round circles. The nutrition facts show the recipe will serve 6 people.
Yes, but the appearance may change and you may need to add a little more or less because brands vary considerably in how much moisture alternative low-carb flours have.
More keto cracker recipes
If you love these low-carb keto crackers, you can try my other keto snacks that are all gluten-free keto recipes.
These keto recipes only need a few ingredients, all have low net carbs per serving, and are perfect for meal prep ideas if you want to make a double or triple batch.
If you want to try a cheat version, use cucumber slices. It's an easy way to eat more vegetables, with virtually no preparation and you still get that delightful crunch when you bite into it.
The low-carb keto crackers recipe card suggests this will serve enough for 6 people. It's up to you whether they are large or small crackers, the net carbs per serving will remain the same.
Nutrition facts for the entire recipe = 21.6 g total carbs with 9 g fiber = 12.6 g net carbs.
Nutrition facts per serving (⅙ of the recipe): 3.6 g total carbs, 1.5 g fiber, 2.1 g net carbs, 11.3 g protein, 18.8g fat, 221 calories.
Nutrition serving: Everyone will make differently sized keto crackers. To calculate how many carbs are in YOUR batch, simply divide the 24g total (or 14.4g net) carbs by how many keto crackers you make.
- If the cracker dough mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again (but not too long or you will cook the egg).
- Make sure to roll your dough thin enough with your rolling pin and parchment paper to make thin crispy crackers when baked.
- If your almond flour crackers are soft and not crispy, bake them for another few minutes, flip them over then bake again.
- Allow your keto crackers to cool completely on a cooling rack before eating. This will help them be even more crunchy.
- To make keto crackers crispy again after defrosting, allow to come to room temperature then reheat in the air fryer for up to 5 minutes on medium heat.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Crackers Recipe (4 ingredients)
Basic keto cracker dough recipe
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon flavourings of choice optional
- Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg, salt, and flavorings, and mix gently.
- Place in between 2 pieces of parchment paper and roll thinly. Remove the top parchment paper. If the mixture hardens and becomes difficult to work with, pop it back in the microwave for 10-20 seconds to soften again but not too long or you will cook the egg.
- Cut the dough into small bite size pieces. Place each one on a lined baking tray as shown.
- Bake at 220C/425F for 5 minutes on each side, or until browned on both sides and crisp. Separate each cracker then bake again for 1-2 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack and keep in an airtight container in the fridge. IF the weather is cool, you may store the container in your pantry for up to 3 days.
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.