Low-carb zucchini and bacon quiche (keto egg casserole) is the perfect high protein breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
PLUS if you have too much zucchini this season, there are 6 more keto zucchini recipes to make cheap, healthy family dinners this summer.
Is zucchini low-carb?
Zucchini nutritional value per 100g/3.5oz is 3.1 g total carbs - 1 g fiber = 2.1 g net carbohydrates. You use a mere 17 calories, 1.2 g of protein, and a whopping 29% of your daily vitamin C needs. Not bad for a medium zucchini!
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
What is an egg casserole (or quiche)?
A crustless quiche may also be known as a frittata or an egg casserole. It is often a combination of whisked eggs, leftover low-carb vegetables, meat such as ham or bacon, and topped with a shredded cheese crust.
A traditional quiche recipe would require wheat flour, or all-purpose flour, pastry base. Some recipes even add flour or cornstarch to the eggs mixture to make it heavy and dense.
Zucchini, cheese, and bacon quiche was a staple growing up in my family, but my new recipe is flourless and low carb. It is superb for dinners, lunches, and picnics. It's great for packing healthy school lunch boxes and the perfect make-ahead keto breakfast.
Easy low-carb keto meal plans
When zucchini/courgettes are in season and going cheap, make a huge batch, and it will last a few days. It is a great recipe to fill your freezer. Just cut the keto egg casserole into individual slices when cold, wrap in baking parchment paper, and store in an airtight container.
All quantities, ingredients, and instructions are in the recipe card below.
Low carb zucchini and bacon slice is an adaptable recipe, simply throw in whatever vegetables or leftover meat you have in the fridge. Try different variations by adding a variety of cheeses, herbs, or cherry tomatoes on top.
Basic keto egg casserole: only requires 4 ingredients, then you can vary the fillings
- Eggs - medium
- Milk or heavy cream - may be omitted if you wish to reduce carbs and increase protein.
- Cream cheese - use full fat, not the low fat, lite, or spreadable variety. These lower fat cheeses will not bake properly in the keto quiche and will create a quiche that is often too soft to slice.
- Grated/shredded cheese - added to the top of the crustless quiche and baked to create a crispy cheesy crust.
- Bacon - streaky smoked bacon is the most delciioius to use, however you can use ham, crumbled pork sausage, salmon, or leftover meat such as chicken or turkey.
- Spring onion - sliced.
- Zucchini/courgettes - diced.
- Herbs - rosemary, chili flakes, garlic powder, onion flakes.
- Salt/pepper - season to taste.
Step by step guide
Making a keto egg casserole recipe is extremely quick so begin by preheating your oven and then getting all your ingredients together.
You will need eggs, milk, zucchini/courgettes, spring onion, bacon and full-fat block of cream cheese.
Add the eggs to the bowl with the cream cheese, add the milk, whisk together (you can use heavy cream if you wish).
Dice/chop the zucchini/courgettes into little pieces.
Dice the bacon (or other meat of choice). It can be added raw or cooked. The raw bacon will cook in the low-carb zucchini slice.
Mix everything together.
Pour all the ingredients into an oiled and lined baking dish. Cover with plenty of grated/shredded cheese of choice.
You can either serve this crustless quiche (keto egg casserole) as the main meal or as a side dish. I like to serve mine with a leafy green salad, coleslaw, or in winter, with mashed cauliflower for a hearty and comforting dinner.
What can I do with too much zucchini?
When zucchini is growing fast and your garden is full, how do you make quick and easy healthy zucchini recipes? Luckily zucchini is an incredibly versatile low-carb vegetable that can be used as a healthy vegetable side dish, affordable keto dinners, naturally gluten-free cakes, and even sugar-free desserts.
Zucchini low-carb baking recipes:
Zucchini keto dinners and side dishes:
- Baked zucchini taco boats (ground beef)
- Baked zucchini chips
- Zucchini And Parmesan Bake (Gluten-Free)
- Zoodles (the best ways to make them)
Zucchini and bacon egg casserole
Please rate this recipe
- Whisk the eggs and milk together.
- Add the softened cream cheese. Don't try to mix it together too smoothly, I like to see little lumps of cream cheese in the zucchini slice.
- Add the bacon, spring onion and zucchini.
- Stir and pour into a lined baking dish.
- Cover with grated/shredded cheese,
- Bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes, or until cooked in the centre.
How easy was that? This really has to be the simplest low-carb zucchini and bacon quiche recipe the whole family will love. It's also flourless, grain-free, gluten-free and made with simple whole food ingredients.
So why not throw some zucchini seeds in the ground this summer and see if you can grow a bumper crop to keep making the zucchini slice? If not, find a friend whose garden is overrun with zucchini and ask them for some fresh zucchini in return for some baked low carb quiche.