There is nothing better than a simple steak with a creamy keto mushroom sauce that can be made in 5 minutes.
This creamy indulgent steak sauce can be used for a variety of meals, so keep this recipe on hand, print it out, or even memorise it. Whatever you do, make it. You will be fighting over the leftovers (if there are any).
You only need 5 simple ingredients to make this creamy mushroom sauce. And you can make plenty of variations and substitutions.
All quantities are in the recipe card below.
- butter - this gives the best flavour. You can use salted or unsalted butter. Remember to season to your liking accordingly.
- Garlic - fresh crushed garlic tastes better than dried garlic flakes, but you can use either.
- Mushrooms - fresh, raw, peeled, and sliced. Do not use dried mushrooms that have been rehydrated, they will make the sauce too watery.
- Cream cheese - use the full-fat variety. The lite, light, or spreadable won't make a very creamy thick sauce.
- Double/heavy cream - you can adjust how much you add to the sauce. If you wish to have a more pourable sauce, add an extra tablespoon or two at a time. If you wish to have a thicker sauce, only use half the stated quantity.
How to cook the perfect steak
To cook the perfect steak bring the raw steak to room temperature for at least 20 minutes before you are going to cook it. Do NOT oil the pan, but instead, brush both sides of the steak with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Preheat your frying pan, skillet, or griddle to high heat. Set your kitchen timer and cook your steak on high for the recommended time on each side.
These cooking times are approximate and you may vary the time depending on the thickness of your steak. Always allow your steak to rest before serving.
1.5cm (0.6 inch) steak cooking times.
- Rare: 1-1.5 minutes on each side
- Medium: 2-3 minutes on each side
- Well done: 3-4 minutes on each side
2-3cm (1 inch) steak cooking times.
- Rare: 2-3 minutes on each side
- Medium: 4-5 minutes on each side
- Well done: 5-6 minutes on each side
How to make it?
After you have cooked your steak, remove it from the frying or skillet and keep covered on a plate until it is time to serve. Using the same frying pan melt the butter and cook the crushed garlic and sliced fresh mushrooms until cooked and tender.
Add the cream cheese and stir while it's melting so to avoid any lumps in your creamy keto sauce. Add heavy cream/double cream until you get the desired thickness of the sauce.
You can create a thick sauce, or add extra cream t make it a pourable sauce.
How to store it?
I never have leftovers, but if you do, store them in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. I prefer to use a glass container so the garlic does not impart onto a plastic container which is difficult to remove.
The mushroom sauce can be frozen in ice cube trays for quick and easy individual servings. Once frozen in ice cube trays, remove and place in a ziplock bag for up to 3 months
How to serve it?
Creamy mushroom sauce is incredible when poured over steak, stuffed chicken, pork chops, keto meatballs, or vegetable side dishes. The sauce can also be used cold as a mushroom dip with Fat Head crackers.
Reheat gently in a frying pan. Don't use high heat otherwise you risk the sauce will separate and split. Do not microwave the sauce to reheat.
Yes, mushrooms only have 1.6g net carbs in an entire cup of sliced mushrooms so they are perfect for your ketogenic diet.
The recipe uses traditional standard white mushrooms, however, you can also use portobello, shiitake, porcini, pine, or oyster.
You can replace half the cream with vegetable stock or beef stock to dilute the creamy sauce to lower the fat and lower the calories.
Creamy Keto Mushroom Sauce
Please rate this recipe
- Melt the butter in a saucepan on medium-high heat and fry the garlic and mushroom slices until gently cooked (this will only take 2 or 3 minutes).
- Turn the heat down to medium and add the cream cheese, mixing to avoid any lumps.
- Now add the double cream and stir until heated through.
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
- Pork chops with butter garlic gravy
- ABC burgers (avocado, bacon, and chicken)
- Cheeseburger casserole
- Pulled pork (slow-cooker)
- Fat head pizza
You know by now my motto is "Real Food, Real Easy" and what can be more simple than a steak cooked to perfection. For a quick and easy family meal, buy a bag of salad and you can have the most amazing meal ready in minutes. Now that's what I call fast food low-carb keto style.
Leave a comment with your favourite low-carb fast food.