Discover the SECRET method to making EASY keto slow cooker pulled pork recipe - the famous prep and forget meal.
No bbq sauce is needed!
You can prepare this Keto Slow Cooker Pulled Pork in less than five minutes without sacrificing any flavour. Just throw it together and forget about it while it cooks in the slow cooker!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork (keto style)
Many pulled pork recipes include a bottle of highly processed, sugar-laden store-bought barbecue sauce to flavour the roast. This is a big no-no when living a keto lifestyle.
So I have endeavoured to make a pulled pork recipe that is pack with all the best flavours of pulled pork, easy to make, and barbeque-sauce free. I do believe we pulled it off to perfection! The secret is out!
Slow Cooker Sauce - The Secret Rub
This pulled pork rub is more like a paste than a rub. All the seasonings are mixed together in tomato paste, then smothered all over the pork roast.
It only takes a minute to make and the delicious flavours infuse throughout the pork as it slowly cooks and the liquid that renders out, creates its own magical keto barbecue sauce!
The tomato paste when slowly cooked will give your pulled pork more of that yummy traditional barbeque flavour you find in pulled pork without having to use any bbq sauce or added sugar.
Want even more of a smokey flavour? Why not add some smoked paprika?
Which Cut Of Pork Do You Need?
I used a picnic shoulder/butt pork roast for the pulled pork. This cut of pork will shred easier, absorb the flavours better, and most importantly it won't dry out like other cuts.
To cook this roast you will want to place the roast in the slow cooker with the skin side up. Cooking the roast like this will allow the meat to cook in the vinegar and keep your roast moist. No one likes dry pork meat.
The pork roast then cooks for 10-12 hours in the slow cooker on low heat. If you want to speed up the cooking time you can use high heat for 8-9 hours, but pulled pork is best when cooked on low heat.
How To Use Pulled Pork
Depending on the size of your pork roast, you may have a lot of leftover meat.
My favorite way is to make home-made keto pulled pork mac and cheese. It's the perfect comfort food and a traditional meal the whole family will love. Especially when you serve it with one of the best low-carb keto pork side dishes.
Because this tangy pulled pork recipe isn't swimming in barbecue sauce, it can be enjoyed in various ways. For a quick and easy meal, you can simply serve it over a chopped salad, cauliflower rice, or with a spicy coleslaw.
How To Cook Pulled Pork in the Instant Pot
If you are looking to have dinner done a little more quickly, this pulled pork can also be made in an Instant Pot or electric pressure cooker. When cooking a large roast in the Instant Pot I always cut the roast into quarters. Not only does it fit better this way, but it also cooks more evenly.
To cook the pork roast in the Instant Pot you will want to cook it for 2 hours on the "meat/stew" setting. Let the pressure release naturally for 30 minutes before manually releasing the rest of the pressure. The rule of thumb when cooking roasts in the Instant Pot is to cook the roast for 20 minutes per pound (500g) of meat.
Once the meat is cooked, simply shred the meat and put it back in the juice to rest just like you would in the slow cooker. The meat will absorb all the extra flavours and make your pulled pork even better! Enjoy!
More delicious low carb and keto family recipes:
- Buffalo chicken with lettuce wraps
- Tangy keto BBQ sauce
- Slow cooker lasagna (cheat's cheese sauce)
- Instant Pot burrito bowls
- Keto pork chops in butter garlic sauce
- Easy pork schnitzel recipe (almond flour crust)
Best keto side dishes to serve with pork
Almost any side dish will taste delicious with pork. Pork is generally complemented best with a slightly sweet side dish or one with bold flavors.
Here are some of my favorite keto pork side dishes.
- Cheesy keto garlic bread
- Easy mashed cauliflower
- Creamed Brussels sprouts
- Keto stuffing
- Bacon broccoli and cauliflower salad
- Low-carb keto almond flour bread
- Baked cheesy broccoli and cauliflower
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Recipe
- 800 g (1.8 lb) shoulder/butt picnic pork roast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika (smoked paprika will give a true BBQ flavour)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
- 60 ml (0.25 cup) apple cider vinegar
- In a small bowl mix together all the seasonings, coconut aminos, and tomato paste.
- Place the pork roast in your slow cooker, skin side down, then completely smother the roast with the seasoned paste.
- Flip the roast so that the skin side is facing up. Add the vinegar to the slow cooker by pouring it to the side, no over the roast.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker. Cook the roast for 10-12 hours on low or 8-9 hours on high.
- When done, shred the roast and place the meat back into the juice to rest for 10-15 minutes. The pulled pork will absorb the flavours from the juice. Serve and enjoy! Leftovers can be frozen and used in another meal or two.
The cut of pork roast you choose will vary the fat: protein ratio immensely.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.