We all want easy low-carb recipes, and I would suggest grain-free pork schnitzel is up there with the easiest of them all.
It's a quick and easy delicious family dinner AND it's perfect sliced up for lunch the next day.
What is schnitzel?
Traditional schnitzel is a thin slice of meat, crumbed, fried in fat. It is very similar to escalope, a thin fried crumbed meat dish in Europe. Schnitzel generally refers to a thin breaded slice of cooked meat across the globe.
The most common meat is pork, chicken, veal, beef or turkey. The meat is often pounded to tenderise before breading and frying.
How to make low-carb schnitzel
When you live a low-carb or gluten-free lifestyle, you're always looking for ways to re-make your favourite dishes to fit your diet. Finding meals like Almond and Herb Crusted Schnitzel that are easily adapted to fit whatever healthy lifestyle you are living.
Schnitzel is an easy-to-make 15-minute meal that proves eating healthy doesn't have to take a lot of time.
I have to say this grain-free pork schnitzel is fast becoming a family favourite. Not only is it incredibly tasty, but it is also just so quick and simple.
Whilst the vegetables are cooking, prepare the pork schnitzel one at a time and place straight into the frying pan.
How to make a low-carb crumb coating?
We get so used to cooking things the same old way, when you go low carb it can be a bit daunting, but soon this way of eating and cooking becomes the norm.
Instead of reaching for the breadcrumbs, just use ground almonds instead.
If you are allergic to almonds, why not try seed flours (such as sunflower or pumpkin) that are becoming available, LSA or linseed.
For more low carb hacks, take a look at my Low Carb Hacks Infographic. It makes the switch to low carb just that little easier.
Using almond meal, or ground almonds, is a great substitute for bread crumbs or flour. It coats easily, frys well and is free from wheat, grains and gluten and extremely low in carbs.
Any leftover almond flour crusted schnitzel is great for lunch boxes or chopped on a salad.
- Use any choice of dried or fresh herb e.g. rosemary, thyme, basil, garlic,
- Use chicken, turkey or pork schnitzel.
- Use the almond and herb crust for fish nibbles.
What is the best way to cook pork?
I love to use my slow cooker (for pulled pork), my skillet for pork chops or pork schnitzel, my oven for a pork roast and even my Instant Pot.
You can see my 5 BEST keto pork recipes.
Spoiler alert, the pulled pork is out of this world!
How to use leftover pork
If you want a quick and easy low-carb or keto lunch idea, serve any leftover almond and herb-crusted schnitzel sliced over a salad with homemade mayonnaise.
There's no need to cheat on a low-carb diet when it comes to lunch, just keep on using those leftovers. Cook once, serve twice.
Grain-Free Pork Schnitzel
Please rate this recipe
- In one small dipping bowl (or saucer) beat the egg(s) with a fork. In another dipping bowl (or saucer) add the almonds, sage and salt/pepper.
- Dip 1 pork schnitzel in the egg mixture on both sides. Lift to drain the excess egg from the schnitzel.
- Place the pork schnitzel in the almond and herb mixture, turning a few times to ensure it is completely covered.
- Place each pork schnitzel in the frying pan as you make them. Cook on a medium heat until both sides are golden. Test to ensure the meat is cooked through to the centre.
- The cut of pork is called schnitzel here, but in other countries, it is called tenderised pork steak, loin steak or you can use a pork chop.
- The amount of almond/herb mixture required will depend on the size of your schnitzel pieces.
- No nutrition label can be generated for this recipe as the size of pork schnitzel and the amount of fat on each piece varies tremendously. And the size of each schnitzel will determine how much crumb mixture has been used.
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
Serve with a selection of greens and mashed cauliflower. Garnish with a slice of lemon.