Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup is a perfect quick and easy meal for cooler temperatures. The ingredients are simple, but the soup holds a lot of flavours.
The best part is this soup only cooks for one minute in the Instant Pot.
Yes, you read that right - 1 minute!!!
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
You will likely have most of the ingredients you need to make this chicken taco soup in your pantry and refrigerator already. The soup holds all the wonderful flavor of tacos without the carbs.
I made this soup using chicken breast cut into bite-sized pieces and chicken stock. This allowed me to cook the soup for a short amount of time.
However, the wonderful thing about this soup is it is versatile. You can use chicken breast, bone-in chicken, or a whole chicken if you choose. You will simply need to increase the cooking time to ensure the chicken is cooked through.
High-carb vegetables such as corn are typically used in taco flavored soups to give the soup more volume and a splash of color.
For this recipe, we used yellow bell pepper in place of corn. The bell pepper gives the soup much-needed volume while keeping the carb count low.
First, sauté the chicken, onions, garlic, and bell peppers.
Sautéing the chicken for a few minutes will ensure that the chicken doesn't cook together in a clump while under pressure.
I like to add chili powder, cumin, and tomato paste to the Instant Pot while the chicken is sautéing. This allows the chicken and vegetables to retain much of the flavor instead of simply flavoring the broth.
Alternatively, you can use your own homemade keto taco seasoning rather than individual spices.
Next, all that is left to do is add chicken stock and tomatoes to the Instant Pot.
For simplicity, I used canned/tinned diced tomatoes. If you would like to use fresh tomatoes you can easily substitute the canned tomatoes for 3-4 fresh diced tomatoes. Just remember to dice them as finely as you can.
To cook, lock the lid onto the pressure valve and turn the pressure valve so that it is in a sealing position. Cook the soup for one minute using the manual function.
When the soup is done allow the pressure to release naturally on its own to ensure the soup doesn't spit out of the pressure valve.
Finally, before you serve the soup you may want to skim any impurities from the chicken off the top.
The number of impurities on the top will depend on the quality of your chicken. Be sure to taste the soup and add salt to fit your taste.
Top the soup with delicious toppings such as sour cream, avocado, jalapenos, and cilantro/coriander. The flavor from the toppings really rounds out the soup and is perfect for fulfilling those taco cravings without the carbs.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup Recipe
Please rate this recipe.
- 900 g (2 lb) chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ (0.5 ) yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced minced
- 400 g (14 oz) tinned/canned chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1000 ml (4 cups) chicken stock or broth
- 2 yellow bell peppers diced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) black pepper
- ½ teaspoon (0.5 teaspoon) crushed red peppers
- Turn the Instant Pot to saute mode.
- When the Instant Pot is hot, saute the chicken, onions, bell peppers, and garlic together in the Instant Pot. Add the chilli powder, cumin, salt, pepper, and crushed red peppers.
- Mix in the tomato paste so that the chicken and veggies are covered while it sautés. Sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off the Instant Pot and add the chicken stock and can/tin of diced tomatoes. Stir the soup to ensure there is no tomato paste stuck to the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to the sealing position. Cook the soup on high pressure using the "pressure cook" or "manual" setting for 1 minute. Let the pressure release on its own naturally. This will take 10-15 minutes. If you are in rush you can release the pressure doing a controlled quick release.
- Turn the Instant Pot off and remove the lid. Skim the top of the soup with a ladle to remove any impurities floating on the top.
- Serve the soup still hot, topped with sour cream, avocados, jalapenos, and cilantro/coriander.
2,500 RECIPES - MEAL PLANS - COOKBOOKS
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
More keto Mexican Recipes
Mexican food is so easy to replicate and make keto as long as you avoid the flour tortillas and corn-based side dishes.
Keto stuffed zucchini taco boats, my 3-ingredients tortillas, and FAST taco salad with cheesy tortilla strips are three of the top recipes. Quick and easy steak fajitas is another family favorite keto recipe.