My kids are absolutely LOVING this new Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Cake recipe. It's a quick and easy fun treat, just without the sugar.
PLUS its only 3g net carbs per slice!
I generally love three-layer chocolate cakes, but sometimes you just don't want all that temptation hanging out in your kitchen.
Low-Carb Baking In The Instant Pot
This low-carb chocolate cake is easy to make. With the help of the Instant Pot, you can make it without heating up your kitchen, or worrying about taking it out of the oven on time.
I will admit that some things just shouldn’t be made in the Instant Pot. Not all cakes should become Instant Pot cakes.
When cakes are made in the Instant Pot they come out denser than a regular oven-baked cake.
But that in itself is a bonus, because you create a dense cake, yet without the heavy starch and carbs.
That's why this chocolate cake is not designed to be light and fluffy, but denser and more solid much like a brownie.
No Instant Pot? No Problem: You can make my sugar-free flourless chocolate fudge cake (gluten-free) in the oven instead.
Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Cake that's also Gluten-Free
If you can’t find flaxseed meal in your store, it is easy to make on your own. Just toss some flaxseed into a food processor, grinder, or bullet blender. It will grind the flaxseed into a fine course flour.
To start you will want to mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl. I use a fine mesh sleeve to sift all my dry ingredients and make sure there are no clumps.
Next, you will mix in the wet ingredients. If you were mixing the batter and it seems a little dry, go ahead and add a third egg. Your chocolate cake batter may need an extra egg depending on your coconut flour.
I have found that some brands of coconut flour absorb more liquids than other brands.
Cooking your Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
Finally, pour your cake batter into a greased baking pan that will fit inside your Instant Pot. I like to use my 6-inch removable bottom cheesecake pan to make cakes because it a breeze to remove the cake in one piece.
Once your cake batter is evenly spread in the pan you will want to cover the top of the pan with a paper towel and aluminium foil.
This will make sure that condensation does not drip onto your cake.
The low-carb chocolate cake will cook for 35 minutes in the Instant Pot with a natural pressure release. A natural pressure release can take quite a bit of time so you only need to let the pressure release for a minimum of 10 minutes before you do a quick release.
This is to make sure that the sudden release of the pressure does not make the top of your cake explode.
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Want to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Get healthy low-carb recipes you'll LOVE - DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW
How To Decorate With Sugar-Free Frosting/Icing
Once the chocolate cake is done cooking remove it from the Instant Pot and let it cool to room temperature on the counter before frosting.
While the cake is cooling you can mix up the frosting/icing and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to frost/ice your cake.
Since this healthy chocolate cake is only one layer and is low in carbs you can enjoy it without too much worry. Remember this cake has a denser brownie-like texture.
As always, taste your batter and frosting before adding eggs to ensure the cake is sweet enough for your taste buds. Enjoy!
Read more: The Ultimate Guide To Sweeteners
Low-Carb Instant Pot Chocolate Cake
Chocolate Cake Batter
- 50 g (1/2 cup) almond meal/flour
- 25 g (1/4 cup) golden flaxseed meal
- 25 g (1/4 cup) coconut flour
- 35 g (1/3 cup) cocoa powder
- 30 g (1/3 cup) powdered sweetener or more, to taste
- 1 tsp (1 tsp) baking powder
- 55 g (1/2 stick) butter softened
- 1/4 tsp (1/4 tsp) salt
- 3 (3 ) eggs room temperature
- 60 ml (1/4 cups) coffee strong brewed
- Combine the almond flour, coconut flour, flaxseed meal, cocoa powder, and sweetener together in a large bowl. Sift to ensure there are no clumps.
- Mix in the remaining cake ingredients. Start with two eggs, and if the batter is still dry add a third egg.
- Grease a round cake pan that fits inside the Instant Pot. Pour the batter into pan and spread the batter so that it is even. Cover the top of the pan with a paper towel and aluminium foil to prevent liquid from pooling at the top of the cake.
- Add a cup of water and a trivet to the bottom of the Instant Pot. Then lower the cake into the Instant Pot to rest of the trivet. Close the lid and turn the pressure valve to seal.
- Cook the cake for 35 minutes using the "manual", "pressure cook", or "cake" function on your Instant Pot. Let the pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
- Remove the cake from the Instant Pot and let it cool completely before frosting/icing.
- Mix the frosting/icing ingredients together in a bowl. Store it in the refrigerator until the cake is ready to frost/ice. Frost/ice the cake and enjoy!
More recipes you may like:
- Low-carb lemon cheesecake (no bake)
- Instant Pot berry cheesecake
- Chocolate pudding cake in the Instant Pot
- Keto vanilla berry mug cake