Looking for yummy healthy lunch box fillers? Mozzarella Dough Keto Pizza Scrolls are the perfect solution!
And everyone will dive for them at picnics or served for party nibbles. The simple keto recipe can be made with almond flour or coconut flour and it's only 1.9g net carbs each (makes 8 scrolls).
If you or your kids absolutely love pizza, keto pizza scrolls are a fun spin on your typical pizza AND it’s low-carb and keto, too!
What are pizza scrolls?
Pizza scrolls are sheets of pizza dough rolled out, filled with traditional pizza toppings then rolled and cut into scroll shapes.
Keto pizza scrolls are compact and easy to pack for an on-the-go meal. You can add your favourite pizza toppings inside the mozzarella dough, roll em'up, then cook the pizza scrolls in only 15 minutes.
How to make pizza scrolls keto?
Traditional pizza dough will contain wheat, all-purpose flour, and other starches. A regular slice of pizza would have these nutritional values:
Per slice (107g) = 36g total carbohydtares, 2.5g fibre, (so 33.5g net carbs), 10g fat, 12g protein.
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
Once you discover mozzarella dough, there is no turning back! It is so easy and so versatile. It can be baked sweet or savoury and you only need some basic simple ingredients.
- mozzarella cheese - always check the nutrition label for any added starches or potato flour that stops the pre-shredded cheese from clumping
- egg - if you are intolerant to eggs, you can actually omit this with great success to make an easy egg-free pizza base
- almond flour - there are substitutions on the recipe below if you wish to use coconut flour
- cream cheese - always use the full-fat cream cheese block
My recipe even comes with instructions on how to make fat head dough with almond flour OR coconut flour. If you've been low-carb or keto for a while, you will know these two flours cannot be substituted easily.
If you are new here, you might also enjoy my Ultimate Guide To Low-Carb Flours which helps you stop making expensive baking mistakes.
What is fathead dough?
The original recipe for mozzarella dough was called Fat Head dough. Why? Because Tom Naughton first published the recipe, and he is the creator of Fat Head, the movie. So credit where credit is due. Tom's recipe is now infamous in the low-carb and keto world.
Scroll below and you can see all the recipes I have created using this classic keto dough.
How to make keto dough
You simply make the mozzarella dough in under 3 minutes, then roll it out in between two sheets of baking parchment.
Try to avoid high sugar sauces such as BBQ sauce or sweet chili sauce. However, I do have a recipe for sugar-free homemade BBQ sauce that is an absolute pantry staple in any keto house.
These are just some of the suggested fillings for your pizza wheels.
- no added sugar tomato paste (tomato paste is very strong flavoured, so it only adds a few carbs to the nutrition values)
- favourite meat such as ham, pepperoni, or salami
- shredded/grated cheese
- herbs such as oregano, rosemary, thyme
How to roll scrolls
Once you have the mozzarella dough rolled out, spread all your favourite pizza toppings inside, roll it up, then slice it into small slices.
Next, place each keto pinwheel onto a lined baking tray, and bake at 220C/425F for 15 minutes. And why not sprinkle with even more cheese or herbs before baking? It will turn into a yummy crispy topping.
This recipe can also suit your preference whether you would like to use almond or coconut flour. Now, all that’s left is what you’ll top them with! So, go on and get creative!
More keto pizza recipes
If you love mozzarella dough (aka Fat Head dough) then you will love these. Print and save them for later.
- Fat Head Pizza - the holy grail of keto pizzas
- Mozzarella dough bagels - add all your favourite toppings
- Fat Head nachos - I like mine fully loaded
- Fat Head calzones - the perfect way to use up some leftover ground/minced beef
- Fat Head sausage rolls - another yummy lunch box filler
- Keto taco cups - I am yet to find anyone who doesn't love these babies!
- Cauliflower pizza - for the veggie lovers
The Ultimate LOW-CARB Lunchbox Book: This isn’t about doing more, it’s about doing things DIFFERENTLY!! DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW
Mozzarella dough keto pizza scrolls
Please rate this recipe
- Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute. (see recipe notes)
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds.
- Add the egg and salt, mix gently.
- Place the keto dough in between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper (see photos above). Remove the top baking paper/parchment and cut into a rectangle shape.
- Spread tomato paste over the prepared dough. Add slices of ham or pepperoni and other favourite fillings. Roll up tightly using the bottom sheet of baking parchment.
- Cut into slices and place each one on a baking tray (cookie tray), and bake at 220C/425F for 12-15 minutes, or until golden.