If you love Mexican food then you will love Fat Head keto nachos. Made with a few simple ingredients and there are so many ways you can serve them.
I will show you exactly how to make your own homemade keto tortilla chips AND the best keto meat sauce too.
Top it all off with melted cheese, guacamole, and sour cream. Are you drooling yet?
If you have been missing nachos because you want to avoid the high carbs, corn, and unhealthy oils that are in regular nachos, then these will be an absolute treat for you.
What is Fat Head dough?
Fat Head dough (also known as mozzarella dough) is a simple keto dough made with 4 ingredients and can be used in a variety of sweet and savoury recipes.
It is low in carbs and naturally gluten-free and can be made with almond flour or coconut flour.
If you have never made mozzarella dough before, you may want to see the supreme guide to making fat head dough even without a microwave. PLUS 16 keto recipes to use it.
All the ingredients, quantities, and full instructions are in the recipe card below.
- Shredded mozzarella - low moisture
- Cream cheese - full fat
- Low-carb flour - almond flour or coconut flour
- Egg - this can be omitted if you have an egg allergy and want to make an egg-free pizza crust recipe.
How to make keto tortillas
To make the Fat Head tortillas, you simply make the Fat Head dough, but instead of adding herbs such as rosemary or other pizza flavours, I added 1 teaspoon of dried coriander/cilantro, 1 teaspoon of cumin powder, and a good pinch of chili to the Fat Head pastry mix.
Remove from the oven and with kitchen scissors or a sharp knife, cut the Fat Head pastry into triangle tortilla shapes, then pop them back on the baking tray one last time to really crisp up.
TOP TIP - keep a watchful eye on the tortilla chips as they cook. It will only take a minute or two before they are ready. Make sure they don't burn. It is better to eat a slightly soft tortilla chip than a burnt one.
What's the difference between nachos and tortillas?
Tortillas are chips and a popular snack by themselves. When they are covered with a meat sauce, sour cream, guacamole, and cheese, they are known as nachos.
The best keto nacho toppings
This really is when you can go crazy and add as many variations to the nacho toppings that will fit within your daily carb limit.
The most popular nacho toppings are meat sauce, avocado, salsa, sour cream, and melted cheese. The toppings are really what brings Fat Head nachos to life and adds so much color, texture, and flavor.
If you want your meat sauce or your tortilla chips to be mild, just add less chili than suggested in the recipe.
You can add more chili powder, sliced jalapenos, red hot chili sauce (with no added sugars), and even some chipotle Tobasco too.
If you have accidentally added too much chili, serve your meal with extra sour cream, extra cheese, and extra mild guacamole. This will help to dilute the spiciness of your meal.
They need to be cooked on both sides. Make sure they are spaced out evenly on your baking tray or cookie sheet when baking so they all cook to become crispy and golden brown.
I split my avocados down the belly, not down the center. The avocado stone will pop straight out and scooping out the avocado flesh is really easy. I have an avocado tree in my backyard and harvest at least 50 avocados each year, so I know this technique is the best (and easiest).
You can add dried cumin, dried coriander, and chili powder, or you can make your own homemade low-carb taco seasoning spice mix.
Please rate this recipe.
Fat Head Nachos Recipe (Keto Nacho Chips)
Fat Head Tortilla Chips
Nacho Meat Sauce
Nacho Meat Sauce
- Gently fry the diced onion in oil until clear then add the meat, breaking it up into tiny pieces as it cooks and browns. This should take up to 5 minutes.
- Add the spices and tinned/canned tomato and tomato paste. Stir then simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes (uncovered to thicken the meat sauce) whilst you make the Fat Head tortilla chips and toppings.
Fat Head Tortilla Chips
- Mix the shredded/grated cheese and almond flour/meal in a microwaveable bowl. Add the cream cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Stir then microwave on HIGH for another 30 seconds. Remove and stir again. Add the egg, salt, and spices. Mix.
- Place the Fat Head pastry between 2 pieces of baking parchment/paper and roll into a thin, rectangle (see photos here). Remove the top baking paper/parchment.
- Slide the baking paper/parchment with the Fat Head pastry, on a baking tray (cookie tray) or pizza stone, and bake at 220C/425F for 12-15 minutes, or until browned on the top. Flip the FatHead pastry over (onto baking paper/parchment) and brown the other side.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and cut into tortilla chip triangle shapes. Bake again at 220C/425F for 3 - 5 minutes.
Putting It All Together
- Place a handful of Fat Head tortilla chips on a plate or serving dish.
- Spoon the hot meat sauce over the tortilla chips.
- Add the grated/shredded cheese which will melt on the hot meat sauce all by itself, then top with everything you love. Serve with a big side salad and plenty of olive oil (optional).
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.