If you're craving Mexican food, these simple keto fajitas will leave you satisfied every single time!
It's the one-pan meal (ready in under 20 minutes) the whole family will love.
In fact, this healthy fajita recipe is so quick and easy to put together in one sheet pan. I'll even show you how to create a quick and easy fajita seasoning that's both low carb and keto.
You can enjoy this delicious Mexican meal in my favorite keto tortillas, or with cauliflower rice (grab my easy no-mess cauliflower rice recipe here!). You'll enjoy it with Mexican coleslaw salad with lime dressing.
Don't forget all the toppings - sour cream, cheese, and avocado with a squeeze of lime juice are my favorites!
What are keto fajitas?
The fajita is a Tex-Mex dish filled with little strips of meat cut from the beef skirt. As time went by, people have become creative in making signature fajitas that they’re now made with different fillings not limited to the cuts of beef skirt.
Originally, back in the 1930s, the beef skirt would be given to Mexican ranch workers (vaqueros) along with the hide, head, and entrails as part of their wage for the day. They made hearty dishes with what they were given which gave rise to the evolution of fajitas as we know them today.
Keto fajitas take everything you know and love about the classic Mexican staple, but strip out much of the carbs so you can enjoy them guilt-free.
This is one of my favorite keto recipes!
Making these keto fajitas is simple. All you need are a few basic ingredients:
- Steak - flank steak or skirt steak work well. You can also use sirloin steak if you'd like. You'll want the steak strips to be evenly cut. Sliced steak should be about ¼" thick.
- Bell peppers - bell pepper has a moderate amount of carbs so you don't want to overboard here. Thankfully a little goes a long way! I used yellow and red bell peppers in this recipe, but you can choose your favorite variety.
- Onions - again, peppers and onions are both moderate in carbs, so we are going to make a little go a long way. I used a thinly sliced red onion for this recipe, but yellow works very well too.
- Lime and lemon - we will use both lime juice and zest, as well as lemon juice and zest.
- Homemade fajita seasoning - this low carb fajita seasoning is easy to put together. All you need is crushed fresh garlic (or garlic powder), chili powder, ground cumin, salt, and pepper.
See the keto fajitas recipe card at the bottom of this post for exact quantities.
Since this is a sheet pan recipe, it's incredibly easy to make this one-pan meal. Mix. Bake. Serve.
First, if you like you can cover your sheet pan with aluminum foil to make clean-up a breeze. I personally like to scrape off all the caramelized pieces and add them to the beef fajitas.
Step 1: Mix
Simply mix together all the keto fajita ingredients on the sheet pan. Mix well so everything is evenly coated, then spread out the fajita mixture evenly on the pan. You want the bell peppers as spread out as possible for that classic flavour.
Step 2: Bake
Next, bake the low carb steak fajitas in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes. Stir it when you are halfway through cooking.
Step 3: Serve
Place the cooked beef on a heat-proof chopping board and slice it into thin strips.
How to serve low-carb fajitas
There are so many ways to enjoy sheet pan fajitas.
One bowl meal: Serve the sheet pan fajitas into a colourful Mexican-themed bowl and pile sour cream, guacamole, and cheese on top.
Keto burrito: You can roll them up in a keto tortilla wrap, with extra shredded lettuce, fresh salad, shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado.
Keto taco: You can also serve them open in a tortilla as a keto Taco Bell copycat taco.
Cheese taco shells: Place keto beef fajitas, shredded lettuce, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa inside a crispy cheesy keto taco shell for the supreme crunch.
Want to change up these low-carb fajitas? Here are a few ideas:
- chicken fajitas - swap out the flank steak for chicken breasts or boneless skinless chicken thighs.
- spicy fajitas - pump up the spice in this recipe with extra chili powder. Add in a sliced jalapeno for extra heat!
- smokey fajitas - use smoked paprika instead of regular for a hit of smokey flavour in your taco seasoning.
- pork fajitas - use some leftover pulled pork or pork chops into the fajita mix with fresh low-carb vegetables, and make a delicious low-carb Mexican meal.
Keto steak fajitas should be stored in an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.
Alternatively, you can freeze the fajitas for up to 3 months.
FAQs About Keto Fajitas
It's best to use skirt, flank steak, flap steak, rump steak, or beef schnitzel strips.
Craving keto chicken fajitas? No problem! It's easy to swap out some boneless skinless chicken thighs (or chicken breasts if you prefer) for the flank steak in this recipe.
Just keep an eye on it as it cooks and make sure the meat is thoroughly cooked.
There are a million ways to enjoy this versatile keto diet staple! Eat it in lettuce wraps, with cauliflower rice, or on low carb tortillas.
Why not make a bed of greens and turn this into a low carb and keto fajita salad?
And don't forget the toppings! Sour cream, fresh cilantro (chopped cilantro is my preference), sliced avocados, bell peppers, shredded cheese...yum.
However you serve them, these keto fajitas are absolutely delicious and one of my favorite keto diet staples.
The best side dishes for beef have to be fresh lettuce, avocado, lime wedges, cheese, sour cream, and of course, avocado. With so much flavour, you can see why this fajitas recipe is a popular family dinner.
If you prefer to make this on the stove top, a cast iron skillet will work well. You can even put the cast iron skillet right in the oven too! Make sure your beef steak or chicken breast is thinly sliced. Everything gets cooked in the same skillet. Cook on a medium high heat.
To reduce the carbs further, cut back on the peppers and onions which are slightly higher carb than other ingredients in the fajitas. You can use onion powder instead and serve in lettuce wraps.
No, refried beans are legumes that are high in carbs. But you can use my keto "refried beans" copycat recipe. It is a versatile addition to any low-carb keto Mexican dish to make you feel like you are in an authentic Mexican restaurant.
Olive oil, avocado oil, chili-infused oil, or even coconut oil.
Regular fajitas are high carb with flour tortillas, refried beans, and often rice. This recipe is low-carb keto-friendly with homemade taco seasoning.
As long as the ingredients are just beef, chicken, and low-carb vegetables, then it may be keto. You have to ask what other ingredients have been added and avoid all necessary carbs such as flour, tortillas, nachos, and sweet sauces.
Onions and bell peppers are higher in carbs so it pays to reduce how much you eat so you can stay on track with your ketogenic diet.
Yes! This is one of my favourite keto recipes to prep. I simply divvy out the fajita mixture into a meal prep container and enjoy.
Please rate this recipe.
Keto Sheet Pan Steak Fajitas Recipe
- 2 cloves garlic minced crushed
- 1 onion sliced thin
- ½ teaspoon chilli powder or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin powder
- +/- salt and pepper to taste
- 60 ml (¼ cups) coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 lime juice and zest
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- 750 g (1.65 lb) steak
- 1 red pepper/capsicum sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum/bell pepper sliced
- Mix all the ingredients together in the sheet pan/baking tray.
- Bake at 180C/350F for 15 minutes. Stir halfway through cooking so the fajitas are cooked and mixed thoroughly.
- Serve on Mexican coleslaw with lime dressing, inside a keto tortilla, or on a simple green salad with lime juice and olive oil drizzled over.
- To reduce the carbs further, cut back on the onion and peppers which are slightly higher carb than other ingredients in the fajitas. You can use onion powder instead.
- Turn once during cooking to ensure the beef steak marinates and cooks in all the delicious homemade taco seasoning.
COOKBOOKS - MEAL PLANS - PANTRY
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.
More keto Mexican recipes
Are you hungry yet? Once these keto steak fajitas start cooking in your oven (or even on the BBQ), your kitchen will be filled with the most amazing aromas.
Give these vibrant, healthy and colourful fresh keto Mexican delicious recipes a try!