This quick cheesy keto chicken casserole is one the easiest and best family meals for a busy weeknight.
It only takes 15 minutes to prepare and is the perfect keto one-dish meal that's freezer friendly too.
The crunchy cheesy crust is made with pork rinds and shredded cheese. The whole family will love this.
This healthy family dinner is so simple to make ahead for meal prep, and only has 3.8 g of net carbs.
Is chicken keto?
Chicken is a versatile and filling source of complete protein.
The nutritional values of chicken depend on which part of the chicken you are cooking. Some areas of the meat will have higher fat content and contain chicken skin, dark parts will have higher iron and the chicken breast has the least fat.
Nutritional values from cronometer.com
|Per 100g (3.5oz)||Net Carbs||Protein||Fat||Calories|
|Chicken breast, skinless||0||30.9g||4.5g||173|
|Chicken drumstick, skin eaten||0||27.3g||10g||206|
|Chicken drumstick, skinless||0||24.2g||5.7g||155|
|Chicken thigh, skin eaten||0||28.2g||13.2g||239|
|Chicken thigh, skinless||0||27.7g||6g||173|
|Chicken wing, skin eaten||0||23.8g||16.9g||354|
This quick delicious chicken casserole is a great family meal that will fill you up because it is a high-protein dinner packed with low-carb vegetables.
How many carbs are in a chicken casserole?
Low-carb casseroles and keto casseroles replace flour with low-carb flour such as almond flour, coconut flour, or pork rinds. The keto casserole is gluten-free, with no added sugar or flour
This keto chicken casserole recipe has the following nutrition servings calories and grams of net carbs.
1 serving of keto chicken casserole: 3.8g (net) carbs, 32g protein, 6.9g fat, and 216 calories.
See the recipe notes for full nutritional information.
Chicken casserole ingredients
Chicken, broccoli, and various kinds of cheese are the shining ingredients in this keto chicken casserole. You'll need a few pantry staple seasonings to spice your casserole up, and a bit of mustard to give your casserole a little more depth of flavor.
Trust me you want to include the mustard, it really brings the casserole's flavors together.
See the recipe card below for exact quantities, instructions, and full nutritional information.
- steamed broccoli florets
- chicken - you need pre-cooked chicken for this chicken casserole recipe. You can either use raw chicken and cook it prior to making this recipe or buy a precooked chicken or rotisserie chicken that you then shred and chop. Or buy pre-shredded chicken from the deli counter.
- cooked bacon - sliced or chopped into bacon pieces
- mozzarella cheese - you need low-moisture shredded mozzarella. You can't use mozzarella balls that are stored in water. Your chicken casserole will be too wet.
- parmesan cheese - grated parmesan cheese without any added starch.
- cream cheese - full-fat cream cheese works best to help make your creamy sauce.
- sour cream - or natural unsweetened yogurt can replace sour cream in this recipe.
- onion powder - or onion flakes
- garlic powder - or dried garlic flakes, minced garlic, fresh garlic, or crushed garlic.
- paprika - smoked paprika adds a lovely earthy flavor to your chicken casserole.
- mustard - always read the label to make sure there is no added sugar.
- salt and pepper
- pork rinds - store-bought pork rinds that have been crushed are quick and easy, or make your own using my pork crackling recipe.
How to make a chicken casserole (step-by-step)
Begin by preparing your casserole dish. Lightly grease with olive oil, avocado oil, coconut oil, or butter.
STEP 1: Pre-cook bacon, chicken, and broccoli
To start you will need to prep your chicken, broccoli, and bacon so they are all cooked. You can do this in whatever method is easiest for you. This is also a great way to use leftover chicken and broccoli.
I steamed my broccoli in the microwave while my chicken boiled on the stove. Once the broccoli was done I popped the bacon into the microwave to cook for a few minutes. Overall it took a little less than 15 minutes to prep all my ingredients.
If you don't want to use a microwave, you can pan-fry the bacon in a large frying pan or large skillet, then remove it when cooked. Followed by the chicken, then remove when cooked.
STEP 2: Make the chicken and broccoli cheese filling
Add the cream cheese, sour cream, seasonings, bacon, and half the cheese to a large mixing bowl.
Mix it all together well. Your cream cheese should be softened to make mixing easy.
STEP 3: Bake the chicken casserole
Add the pre-shredded chicken and steamed broccoli to the bowl. Mix well. If it is too thick, add a little chicken broth or sour cream.
Transfer the cheesy chicken and broccoli to a prepared casserole dish. Cover the top with the remaining cheese and crumbled pork rinds.
Place your baking dish uncovered on the middle rack in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until all the cheese has melted and the top has turned golden brown and crispy.
Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
Hint: Let your casserole cool for 5 minutes before cutting and serving to allow the cheese in the casserole to set. This isn't necessary but will help the casserole hold its shape better when serving and not fall apart.
We understand that each person has different dietary needs, tastes, or ingredients availability. While the ingredients used are typically widely available, pricing can also vary greatly. Below you will find substitution recommendations if you need to make some adjustments.
- Pork rinds/pork crackling - this is used to add some crunch to your cheesy crust crunchy topping. You can omit it or replace it with gluten-free almond flour you toasted in the oven. To keep it easy I like to use pork crackling.
- Broccoli - Replace with whatever low-carb vegetable you would like. The vegetables would need to be cooked and drained of any excess water before adding them to your casserole. The baking time should stay the same.
- Cream cheese - ricotta or tofu can be used in place of cream cheese. The texture will be a bit different. You may need to blend the tofu first to make it smooth if using.
- Parmesan cheese - instead, you can use cheddar cheese, Monterrey Jack, and even a delicious Mexican cheese blend.
If you need a substitution suggestion for different ingredients or friend your own substitution with great success, share it with us in the comment below.
Mix up your chicken casserole recipes with some new flavors. This is a great way to bring new life to a family favorite recipe that maybe people are getting tired of.
- Bacon ranch chicken casserole - add some dill to my easy keto salad dressing and drizzle it over the top.
- Spicy chicken casserole - mix in some diced jalapenos or crushed red pepper flakes.
- Wrap It - make it a wrap or a pita by serving it with Libby's Keto Tortillas or an Easy Keto Roti.
- BBQ chicken casserole - drizzle with keto BBQ sauce!
You can also use this Easy Coconut Flour Tortilla Wrap on my website!
A large casserole pan or baking dish is needed to bake your casserole in the oven. Other oven-safe baking pans like a dutch oven or cast iron skillet can be used as well, but your baking time will be different depending on the pan. The deeper the casserole the more time it will need to cook.
You also want to bake your casserole uncovered to give the top a chance to brown and become crispy. So if you use a pan other than a casserole dish be sure to leave the lid off.
How to store leftovers
Keto chicken casseroles are perfect for meal prep as they store in the refrigerator like a dream.
Leftovers can be stored covered in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. The casserole can be stored in the refrigerator unbaked for up to 3 days in advance. The unbaked casserole can also be frozen in an airtight container and stored for up to 3 months.
Frozen casseroles will need to be defrosted on the counter or in the refrigerator before baking.
Meal prep tips
You can quickly make two casseroles at a time when making this keto chicken casserole recipe. Cook one for dinner and stick the other in the freezer for the following week.
While they are cooking, you can slice and dice to prepare any additional side dishes for your weekly meal plan.
Pre-shredded cheese is expensive and used in so many easy keto recipes, make it yourself. Shred some cheddar cheese in your food processor then store it in an airtight container or ziplock bag in the fridge or freezer.
Best keto side dishes to serve with chicken
There are so many delicious low-carb and keto side dishes to serve with chicken. Chicken is a versatile family-friendly dinner and so you need to choose quick and easy healthy side dishes the whole family will love.
Here are some of my favorite keto side dishes to serve with chicken.
- Cheesy keto garlic bread
- Easy mashed cauliflower
- The best low-carb bread, pasta, and potato substitutes
- Low-carb keto almond flour bread
- Baked cheesy broccoli and cauliflower
Chicken casserole FAQ
Yes, you can use a rotisserie chicken. If you use a rotisserie chicken choose a plain chicken since some rotisserie chickens can have sugar added.
Yes, you can use pre-cooked chicken from the store or leftover chicken precooked at home. This recipe is a great way to use leftover chicken since the chicken needs to be cooked before adding it to the casserole anyway. If buying pre-cooked chicken choose a plain chicken that is grilled or baked and not fried.
Any type of cooked meat will work for this recipe. This is a great way to use up leftover turkey, leftover ham, leftover sausages, leftover pulled pork, or even leftover pot roast.
To add ranch to your low-carb casserole recipe you want to make a batch of my easy keto dressing with a bit of dill added to it and drizzle it over the top when it is done baking.
To make the casserole ahead of time prep the casserole following the directions below. Instead of baking the casserole wrap it tightly and store it in the refrigerator until you are ready to bake. After the casserole has baked drizzle easy keto dressing with dill over the top of your casserole.
If it is too thick, add a little chicken broth, mayonnaise, heavy whipping cream, chicken stock, or sour cream.
You can use any cut of chicken such as skinless chicken thighs or chicken breasts. I like to use leftover chicken too a as quick and easy cheap keto dinner.
You can use any cooked vegetables such as sliced Brussels sprouts, cooked and drained spinach, cooked asparagus pieces, cooked mushrooms, baked spaghetti squash, or even some leftover cauliflower rice.
It depends on the recipe. This recipe requires chicken that has already been cooked.
More keto casseroles
Keto casserole recipes are an easy way to make a complete meal in one pan.
The best cheesy keto taco casserole (without taco shells), simple keto breakfast casserole (crustless quiche), quick keto bacon cheeseburger casserole, and of course, baked broccoli and cauliflower casserole.
More keto chicken recipes
If you want an easy keto meal for dinner tonight, your whole family will love these simple keto chicken recipes.
They are all perfect for your keto diet, low-carb diet, or high-protein low-carb diet.
Please rate this recipe.
Quick Cheesy Keto Chicken Casserole
Chicken and broccoli casserole mixture
- 2 lbs (900 g) chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 2 slices bacon cooked and chopped into bits
- 4 cups broccoli florets steamed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1½ cup pre-shredded/grated mozzarella
- ½ cup sour cream
- 6 oz (170 g) cream cheese softened
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard
Crunchy pork rind cheese crust
- ½ cup pork rinds crumbled
Chicken and broccoli casserole mixture
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Prepare your chicken - Cook your chicken then shred when cool (or use leftover chicken). Use whichever chicken you prefer, and which method is easiest for you. Prepare your broccoli - Steam, boil, or microwave your broccoli. Drain and allow all the steam to escape.Fry your bacon - fry raw bacon in a small frying pan or skillet, or use cooked bacon pieces.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, sour cream, seasonings, bacon, half of the mozzarella, and half of the parmesan.
- Then add the cooked broccoli and chicken. Mix into the cheese mixtures.
- Transfer your cheesy chicken and broccoli mixture to an oiled casserole pan.
Crunchy pork rind cheese crust
- Mix the remaining cheese and crumbled pork rinds then sprinkle all over the top of the chicken casserole.
- Bake on the middle rack in the oven for 15-20, or until all the cheese has melted and the top has turned golden. Remove from the oven, serve, and enjoy!
YOUR HOLIDAY PANTRY & GIFT GUIDES
Approximate nutrition information is provided for convenience and as a courtesy only. For the most accurate nutritional data, use the actual ingredients and brands you used in your preferred nutrition calculator.