Do you want an easy low-carb Christmas cake? Only a few simple ingredients? So incredibly easy the children can make it?
Well here you go, and you can see it's so simple my 9-year-old son baked it too, just to be sure.
Watch the new cooking video. This is an easy, healthy, one-bowl recipe.
Is Christmas cake healthy?
Christmas cake can be healthy depending on which ingredients you choose. A traditional Christmas cake has wheat flour, all-purpose flour, added sugar, candied peel, dried fruit and often honey or treacle (a dark sugar syrup).
One small slice of fruit cake will definitely push you over the limit of your daily carb allowance and probably trigger even more sugar cravings.
This low carb cake however, is made with butter, almond flour, spices, fresh eggs and your favorite sugar replacement.
Easy Low-Carb Christmas Cake
I love a stodgy, heavy Christmas cake, with the flavour of citrus peel and the crunch of the nuts inside. This easy low-carb Christmas cake tastes just like the real thing. It's heavy and solid, but not at all stodgy.
There are SIX options depending on how authentic vs low carb you would like the easy low carb Christmas cake to be.
The plain version is the lowest in carbs, then you might want to add something a little special such as candied peel, goji berries, orange zest and brandy. Which, and how much you add, is completely up to you.
So go on, make a healthy low-carb Christmas cake recipe this year and surprise your guests. In fact, some may prefer it who hate fruit cakes, there are plenty that do.
You might also like to serve some sugar-free spiced almonds as a Christmas party snack or as a wonderful gift for family and friends.
This really is a simple recipe which is perfect for children to start baking in the kitchen.
In a large bowl, mix the butter mixture with spices and sugar free sweeteners. Cream the spiced butter gently then mix in the eggs, one at a time. This stage makes the cake light and fluffy.
Then add the dry ingredients and mix all your favourite flavor substitutions in. Pour the Christmas cake batter into a baking tin lined with baking parchment and bake at 180C/350F.
This cake was baked in our house twice in two days. The first was when I was developing the recipe and I added the candied peel, the second was my 9 year old son who needed a cooking project for school.
He made it all by himself, all I had to do was crack the eggs for him. So it truly is a super easy low carb Christmas cake, tried and tested by my little prodigy.
Christmas cake substitutions
6 Optional extras: If you choose to add the following, these are the additional nutrition values you must add.
These values are per cake. The cake makes 10 slices, so divide by 10 to calculate per slice.
Remember a slice of traditional fruit cake is 69g total carbs, 7g fibre, 62g net carbs. For me, I choose the addition of the candied peel.
Next time, however, I will be adding my own lemon and orange zest to keep it even lower - yet the traditional flavour of zest will remain.
- ½ cup walnuts - total carbs 8g, fibre 4g, net carbs 4g
- ½ cup macadamias - total carbs 7.6g, fibre 4.7g, net carbs 2.9g
- 1 cup candied peel - total carbs 70g, fibre 3g, net carbs 67g
- ½ cup orange and lemon zest - total carbs 18g, fibre 8g, net carbs 10g
- 1 cup goji berries - total carbs 110g, fibre 16g, net carbs 94g
- 1 cup cranberries - total carbs 131g, fibre 9g, net carbs 122g
These are always a crowd-pleaser with friends and family at holiday celebrations and parties. Even the most ardent sugar lover will love these no added sugar and low carb dessert recipes.
- Spiced almonds - the perfect healthy gift
- Mulled wine in the slow cooker - perfect for entertaining guests
Get ready for Christmas and start planning your healthy low carb meals. Wonderful sugar free and low carb sweet treats are included in this book. So start celebrating now and treat yourself to make the holiday season a little easier.
LOW-CARB SWEET TREATS: Want to enjoy parties AND stay on track? Delicious recipes to please a crowd - DON'T WAIT - BUY NOW
Wishing you all a very happy Thanksgiving, Christmas, and healthy new year.
Easy Low-Carb Christmas Cake
Please rate this recipe
Basic easy low carb Christmas cake
- Mix well the butter and sweetener until pale and fluffy.
- Add the spices and essence, mix again.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing between each one.
- Add the almond meal/flour and mix until well combined.
- Stir through the nuts and optional extras now.
- Line a 8 inch/20cm round baking tin with baking parchment/paper and butter the sides well.
- Spoon into the prepared tin and bake at 180C/350F for 20 minutes, or until cooked (ovens vary).